Sunday, January 20, 2008

-Tsunami 3rd Anniversary

Tsunami 3rd Anniversary ( Phuket Local News )

A Survivor Remembers
by Witchureerat Kunprom

December 26 marks three years of the devastating grief left behind by the biggest natural calamity to have struck Thailand. All around Phuket, this anniversary is being marked with ceremonies and prayers.It was a tragedy that affected an entire region, and gripped the entire world. I still remember those terrible days, when I and most people I know learned a word we had never heard of before. Tsunami. It changed our lives.So many had no idea what to do next, it was a period of so much tragedy and uncertainty. And yet, in those terrible days, I also remember the many kind and gentle Thais and foreigners who gave a helping hand to people stricken by the tragedy. Just a few days before the anniversary, my colleagues and I were startled to learn that we had right within our midst a survivor from that terrible scene. Khun Aan, our Graphic Designer mentioned his ordeal at a departmental lunch at the picturesque Laem Hin pier.The hush that followed his revelation was typical of the reaction, even now, three years later, that memories of the tsunami evoke on this island. All other conversation stopped as we turned our faces and attention to his story. “I was with my university classmates, we were volunteering to build a school building on Phi Phi Island,” began Aan.On that fateful day, Aan went to the market along with two other friends.In the midst of purchasing supplies, Aan heard a deafening roar...like the sound of a big storm approaching fast. What they thought was a “big storm” was upon them in seconds and the little group ran back to their lodgings.Terrified and unsure abut what was happening, the three boys held on to each other as the first wave came crashing into their home. Everything after that was a blur.Separated, the friends were suddenly fending for themselves. “I was conscious throughout, and felt myself drowning in the water. I tried to swim out but found that a big nail had actually impaled my knee to the side of the bed,” related Aan, making everyone gasp.“I tore my knee away, nail and all. It left a hole this big in my foot...” he said, using his thumb and index finger to shape a hole about the diameter of a large coin. More gasps. "I was bleeding throughout. There was something in my shoulder as well and I was losing blood fast.“ I swam out of the water with great difficulty and emerged at the roof of the house. People were shouting that another wave was about to hit.“I was terrified. I don't think I've ever thought of my parents so much, or ever felt that religious,” said Aan drily, making us laugh in spite of the terrible tale.“I don't know where I got the power from, I felt sure that my shoulder was broken...but somehow, I swam with only one arm to the shore. My only thought was- I must get to the shore and then my father will rescue me because he works for the Navy. “When I was finally up the hill, safe, two foreigners helped me with First Aid, and gave me their back-pack to use as a pillow. I was tken into a hut, where my friends eventually found their way. We all burst into tears when we realised our friends were safe. We still didn't how what had happened...and how many others had died.”Aan spent the entire night in the hut, with his wounds untreated and fighting to stay conscious. Gangrene had begun to set in...“The next day, rescuers took me from Phi Phi to Phuket by speedboat to Mission Hospital. My knee was infected because of the dirty water and it smelt like a corpse. I stayed at the hospital for two or three moths before I was cured. “The doctor told me that had I satyed on Phi Phi a night longer, I would have lost my leg.“I stayed at the hospital for two or three months. But my parents couldn't visit me for a month...It took them a long time to find out that I was alive and well, there was no way of finding out. They were also victims of the tsunami and had no money to come visit me. Our house in Phang-Nga was destroyed. My mother went to stay with some of my relations on a remote hill in Phang-nga. “When I was recovered I still felt nervous when I heard loud sounds...such as the sound of a ten wheel truck. “It took me a long, long time to get over the fear. I feel better now, but yet sometimes, the sound of the waves in the sea can be scary. “I feel quite the Super- Hero for having survived the day,” said Aan, smiling. "It was definitely the most dramatic experience of my life. Who knows? Maybe Hollywood will be interested in my experience with the tsunami. I might be a superstar like Jack and Rose in the Titanic movie!” he announced, again reducing everyone to giggles. “Three years on, I feel like the end of my life can happen anytime. I want to do my best in every thing I do. Things in this world can happen or change any time. Our life is really short, so let’s enjoy ourselves. Be happy with whatever you do. Don’t give up on anything. The ways of people are so different. I want to be someone who inspires people to keep their life going, through every hurdle. To keep living until the last breath."
 

Phuket Travel Guide Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template

Phuket : Travel Guide Partner of hotelthailandreservation.com